Maintaining one-on-one relationships is one of the most difficult and most rewarding challenges we can face. If you’re looking to make a different kind of resolution this new year, check out some creative relationships resolutions you can commit to this year to add value to your relationships with family, friends, coworkers, and more.
- Reach out to one friend each week (or month) that you haven’t talked with in a while by sending a text message, email, or message on social media just to say hi and that you’re thinking of them.
- Plan Sunday family dinners, whether it’s with your immediate family, extended family, or a consistent group of friends.
- Commit to visiting a loved one in a nursing home or retirement community, sit and talk, play games, bring your kids, etc.
- Host No Tech Tuesdays and rotate who you invite over for a night of digital-less fun!
- Have lunch with one new person from your office or workplace each month and really get to know them one-on-one.
- Seek out a mentor or pour into a potential mentee to share experiences, ask questions, and learn from one another
- Send out a monthly text message asking people how you can pray for them—it doesn’t have to be in-depth or drawn out, just make a list of prayer requests and then actually pray for them!
- Go out on date nights with your kid(s); if you have more than one, make sure you take the time to hang out with them one-on-one.
- Join a book club with friends and discuss the latest best-seller while taking advantage of time spent together.
- Call your parents more regularly—whether that’s once a week or once a month—just to say hi and see what they’re up to.
- Spend time in God’s Word reading the Bible consistently this year... commit to 10 minutes a day.
- Have dinner with your siblings every other month and speak into each other’s lives, or those you consider to be like siblings.
- Plan to do devotions together as a family, whether that’s right after dinner or before you go to bed; stay consistent!
- Get in a Group—find people in the same life stage as you and connect regularly; you’ll be surprised by how they impact your life.
- Plan a get-together with coworkers outside of work, like a group dinner or a trip to the park; you can even invite families and get to know each other’s lives outside of the office!
When we invest in our relationships, we grow in our relationships. Take the time this new year to show the people around you that you care about them. It will make a bigger impact than you think!