Week-long beach vacations and trips to an amusement park sound like lots of fun...but with jam-packed schedules and rising costs, they can become more stressful and less relaxing. This summer, why not try a "staycation.” What’s a staycation? It’s a vacation at home filled with enjoyable and fun activities for the whole family! Staycations provide an opportunity to unwind, bond, and create lasting memories without the need for extensive travel or breaking the bank.
Check out these 5 staycation ideas for families looking to make the most of their time together:
1. Bring the Water Park to You
Who says you need to leave home to enjoy water park fun? With a little creativity, you can transform your backyard into a cool and refreshing oasis. Create your own water slide using a tarp, hose, and a little bit of soap. Challenge family members to race and see who can make it to the end first.
If you prefer a more natural setting, search for local streams and ponds. Pack a picnic lunch and spend the day lounging next to the water in the beauty of God’s creation. Point out the different things God made and share with each other what you love about them!
2. Go Indoor Camping
Turn your living room into a cozy campground!
- Clear a space and cover it with a blanket or sheet to create a tent-like atmosphere.
- Gather comfy pillows and blankets for your indoor tent.
- Enhance the ambiance by playing nature sounds or telling stories around a virtual "campfire."
- Complete the camping experience by eating deconstructed s'mores, with marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate.
3. Take a Family Challenge
Try out this 4-day summer family devotional! You’ll complete challenges to love and serve each other and your community and create memories while reflecting on a different verse each day.
4. Seek Out Ice Cream
Hit up the new-to-you ice cream shops in your area! Create a list of places you want to go, and check them off when you visit. You can go crazy with toppings, or, if you’re feeling brave, try a flavor you wouldn’t normally get. Take a family vote on which place has the best ice cream!
If you're a Pennsylvania local, follow the Scooped Ice Cream Trail to earn points for every place you visit for a prize!
5. Movie Night with a Twist
Transform your regular movie night into an extraordinary experience for the whole family. :
- Create a cozy atmosphere by moving furniture out of the way and gathering on the floor with everyone's favorite pillows, cushions, and blankets.
- Elevate your popcorn game by experimenting with different seasonings and toppings. Turn off the lights and add some extra flair with glow sticks.
- To make it interactive, create a bracket of everyone's favorite movies and vote to determine the ultimate family favorite.
Get some more ideas for your family staycation movie here!
A staycation is an excellent opportunity to relax, rejuvenate, and create lasting memories with your family. By exploring these staycation ideas, you can transform your home into a haven of adventure, relaxation, and togetherness.
The possibilities are endless with a staycation, so embrace the joy of it and make this summer an unforgettable one for your family. Remember, the best memories are often made right at home.
If you're interested in other content similar to this, check out:
101 Questions Guaranteed to Get Your Kids Talking
5 Healthy Parenting Habits For Your Teen & Technology
How to Connect as a Family on a Budget
LCBC stands for Lives Changed By Christ. We are one church in multiple locations across Pennsylvania. Find the location closest to you or join us for Church Online. We can’t wait to connect with you!