As we’re still navigating a global pandemic, there’s no doubt that Christmas 2020 will be memorable. Chances are your traditions may not look the same this year. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a quiet day at home with your immediate family or maybe you’re connecting with loved ones who are miles away with technology. No matter how you’re spending Christmas, we can all be thankful for the gift of Jesus this season.
One of our favorite traditions at LCBC is celebrating Jesus’ birth during our Christmas Eve gatherings. This year, we’re making sure we can all participate in this tradition no matter where we are with 11 online Christmas Eve gatherings. Check out our top ideas for making Christmas at LCBC online gatherings a memorable experience!
Ideas for Everyone
- Set the Mood - This year’s Christmas Eve gatherings will help us pause and remember we have a hope that rises above! To create some atmosphere, dim your lights and light some candles to watch the gathering. Use ourChristmas worship playlist before or after the gathering to help focus on the amazing gift we have in Jesus!
- Serve a Meal - Everything is better with food! Whether you’re watching together just the two of you or having friends and family over, start with some appetizers or a charcuterie board. Create a make-your-own sundae or hot chocolate bar after the gathering and discuss your takeaways from the message.
- Dress Up - You may just be enjoying the gathering from your couch, but that doesn’t mean you have to wear sweats! Try wearing what you normally would to an in-person gathering or simply add a little green or red.
- Celebrate with Neighbors - Christmas is a great time to invite others to LCBC! Organize a door or outdoor tree decorating contest in your neighborhood and invite them to watch the gathering together. Or invite everyone to watch the gathering at a certain time and then enjoy hot cocoa from your lawns or social distance in your garage. If you’re feeling really festive, add some holiday cheer by caroling down the street!
- Stretch It Out - Many of us try to squeeze as many events into one day as possible. This year, take advantage of changed plans. Watch the gathering on Tuesday and spend Wednesday and Thursday making other plans with family and friends.
Ideas for Parents
- Have a Dance Party - Christmas is a time to celebrate! WatchChristmas Family Jam together before the gathering or simply use our kidVenture Island Spotify playlist anytime!
- Watch kidVenture Island Christmas Gatherings - For children ages 2-Grade 4, we have special Christmas gatherings on demand for them to celebrate the gift of Jesus! Watch their gathering after dinner and put them to bed so you can watch Christmas at LCBC with less interruptions. Students Grades 5-12 are encouraged to watch the main gathering with their parents.
- Put on Your Jammies - If you have matching pajamas for everyone in your family, then this idea is for you! Even if that’s not your thing, get comfy as a family in your sweats or jammies and enjoy the gatherings together. Try baking cookies specifically for the gathering to add something sweet!
- Add a Game - Even the youngest members of your family can participate in Christmas Pictionary! Print out this list or simply use it as inspiration for your drawing ideas. Put each slip of paper with a word on it in a mug, assign teams and get drawing!
Ideas for Across the Miles
- Watch Together with Tech - If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s how to connect through technology. Use your favorite platform to watch with family, friends or even neighbors to enjoy the gathering together. Jump on a video chat or group text afterward to discuss the gathering and talk about the rest of your Christmas plans.
- Show Off Your Decor - Before the gathering, use FaceTime, Zoom or another platform to show off your ugly sweater or your Christmas decorations. Invite others to watch the gathering with you and make it a contest - best tree wins!
- Organize a Parking Lot Exchange - Set a date and time to meet in a parking lot with friends or family that live close enough to you. Organize a cookie swap or even a white elephant gift exchange. Use Zoom or another platform to open your presents or eat your cookie together after the gathering.
- Add a Little Trivia - Spend extra time together as friends or family with three rounds of Christmas trivia. Designate one person to read the clues and ask everyone to be on the honor system. Decide ahead of time if you’re playing for pride or prize.
- Extend the Invitation - There’s never been an easier time to invite anyone to Christmas at LCBC! Whether they live next door or across the globe, invite someone to watch the gathering with you this year.
No matter how you plan on enjoying Christmas at LCBC this year, we hope you’re filled with the hope this season brings in the birth of Jesus!